Thursday, November 24, 2016

Empty words?

I have been sitting here with a blank screen trying to pull together what I thought God was saying about being thankful with a word that He had me look up last week. I couldn't see a connection and nothing was coming together so I just sat waiting. Just as I was about to put everything aside for awhile, I looked down at my phone to see Hebrews 12:28-29 in the Message translation staring back at me.  “Do you see what we’ve got? An unshakable kingdom! And do you see how thankful we must be? Not only thankful, but brimming with worship, deeply reverent before God. For God is not an indifferent bystander. He’s actively cleaning house, torching all that needs to burn, and he won’t quit until it’s all cleansed. God himself is Fire!” (Hebrews‬ ‭12:28-29‬ ‭MSG‬‬) All of a sudden it made sense. Folks, the Lord said to me, “Actions speak louder than words.” So my question for you today is simple. Are you doing or just talking?

Oftentimes, what God tells you to do and your natural thought process don't match. He is instructing you with an advanced knowledge and understanding of the outcome that you aren't privy to. So when He says start a business, you say I don't have the start up money for that. Or when He says write a book, you say I don't have enough time or material. Your mind comes up with all of the limitations and issues that could go wrong with the scenario that God has laid out. Sound familiar? It's that whole faith vs sight thing! God is trying to get you to a place where you just trust Him and act. So many times you miss the easy road because your vision stops at the first roadblock instead of seeing the newly paved road just beyond it. Stop talking about what God said you will be and start acting on what He said.  Hebrews 12:28 says that your “thankfulness should be brimming with worship.” To me, that says that it goes beyond the mere words ‘thank you’ to action. Are you doing or just talking?

I couldn't figure out why God told me to look up the word stagnant last week. It just didn't go with anything that I could see. I mean, He was challenging me and my obedience and faith left and right so stagnant didn't make sense to me. But I looked it up anyway and Merriam Webster said it means, not flowing in a current or stream; stale; not advancing or developing. The Free Dictionary added “often foul smelling, lacking vitality or activity.” God, what in the world does that have to do with being thankful and this Hebrews passage?  It's actually quite simple. Verse 29 is an example of how you move  forward in what God is saying. “For God is not an indifferent bystander. He’s ACTIVELY cleaning house, torching all that needs to burn. And he won't quit until it's all cleansed.” Do you see? This is the exact opposite of being stagnant. If you want to show God that you appreciate Him and what He is doing in your life, I challenge you to be like Him. He has presented this unshakable Kingdom and He can't sit still while His mission is accomplished. No! He is burning what needs to be burned and cleaning out what needs to be removed. He is ACTING! Are you doing or just talking?

You no longer have time to sit still waiting on God to speak again. Notice, I said again! In most cases, what you are waiting on God to confirm, He has already told you multiple times. Your natural mind or fear has just kept you from hearing it. While you are sitting still or not flowing in what God has ordained, you are growing stale and losing your motivation and vitality. It's time to stop just talking about what God is saying and put some action behind it. Stop saying God gave you a record and you aren't perfecting your songs and saving for your studio time. Stop saying you have been called to the nations and you aren't working on your passport and saving your money. Stop saying you are a missionary and you aren't serving in your community or actively looking for places to serve. If you want to show God that you are thankful today, honor His instructions, act on His Word and obey His command. Actions speak louder than words, Saints. Let's start doing!

No comments: