Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hello....Who's in control here?!


As I have prayed and reflected this week, God has really been asking me a serious question. Have you really given up control of your situations?

Whoa! Isn’t it crazy when God kind of knocks you backwards with a question? Well…that’s what happened with me.  And interestingly enough, He brought many situations where I had to ask that very question to others. It’s easy to say that we have given up control and stopped getting in God’s way but it’s another thing to actually do it. Raise your hand if you have said, “I am giving it ALL to God”! I know I have and at the same time I was still trying to fix whatever circumstance I was in. During this past year, God has made this real to me. He has showed me time and time again that if I just let Him take care of things, they will work out. One day, while trying to figure things out on my own, I clearly heard him say, “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). From that day, I have really tried to examine whether I was really trusting God to make a way.

Some of us have been looking to other people to satisfy us. Hoping that our parents, spouses, and friends could make everything alright and finding no answer. It’s only when we truly yield to God that we are able to find peace and ultimately the solution to our issues. Isaiah 2:22 is a powerful scripture and one that made me pause. “Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?” (NIV) We have to come to a place in our lives where God is our first stop! It’s certainly true that God can work through man so that’s not what I’m talking about. I am talking about when you look first to your girlfriend before you seek God. I mean when you call your mama, before you go into prayer about a situation. I mean running to your brother for the answer when the altar is the other way.

If we truly give our circumstances and situations to the Lord, He will work things out for us. Sometimes, we have to be still and wait. He is not on our schedule but He is faithful and on time. 2 Chronicles 20 is a great chapter about the power of praise and fasting but it also speaks to letting God have control and handle your situations. Verse 17 says, You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you, O Judah and Jerusalem!’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the Lord is with you.” (NKJV) Isn’t that powerful?! You do not have to do anything, just position yourself and let God fight. Let God lead. Let God do His work.

I challenge you to look at your life and see if you have really given God the reins. Is there any situation that you need to take your hands off of? Give God your children, your marriage, your career, your finances…whatever you are trying to “handle”. Let God be God.

I found this prayer online and I want to leave part of it with you. I hope it blesses you today!
Dear Jesus,
Please hear my prayer. I go along each day, trying to run my life my own way. I forget to let go and give You control. I wonder why things aren’t going the way I want them to go. I forget to stop and ask what You want, Lord. Please help me to give You control, Jesus. I want to follow You. I want what You desire for me. Help me to realize that when You close one door, you open the one You want me to walk through. Help me also to realize that what I desire may not be what is meant for me, or what is best for me. Maybe it will lead me away from what Your great plan is for me. Lord, let me accept each day as a gift. Let me follow the path You choose for me. Help me to be thankful for what You give me and not to worry about my needs. I trust You will take care of all my needs. Remind me that my role is to care for those around me and focus on those who need my help. Help me, dear Jesus, to be who and what You want me to be. Give me strength, faith and hope, and most of all, give me guidance each and every day. I let go and give you control. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: