Thursday, January 17, 2013

Is that a plank?!


If you know me or have read this blog for a while, you know that I have 2 daughters. They are 21 months apart and they love each other dearly. However, they also go at it…daily! It usually starts out with one of them telling the other what they should be doing or telling me or their dad what the other is doing wrong. In most cases, the one doing the telling just finished doing whatever they are telling about themselves. For instance, Sanai will say, “Kennedi just wrote all over the walls with crayon.” I go survey the scene and the crayon reaches higher than Kennedi can reach. Sanai is so focused on what Kennedi did that she fails to see herself and her part in the action. It’s so easy to see what everyone else is doing wrong, but it’s often tremendously hard to see yourself.  When God showed me that analogy, my eyes popped open! I got it! As we are moving into this new year and season, we have to see ourselves with conviction and clarity so that we don’t hinder our own walk and growth.

In both Matthew 7 and Luke 6, Jesus teaches about judging others and asks a very profound question. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?” (Matt. 7:3 NIV)  He instructs us to remove the plank from our own eye so that we can see to help our brother or sister. It is so important not to judge for those reasons but I think we sometimes move too quickly past the self-examination process in that verse. It takes prayer, fasting and a willing spirit to look in yourself and see what you need to do to walk cleaner, taller, and better. I’m a witness! I believe God gave me Sanai and Kennedi so that I could see myself. Whenever I find myself getting upset with them for something, often I can trace it back to something I have said or done and I have to repent.  Are you seeing yourself clearly today?

Paul gives a great lesson on self-examination in 2 Corinthians 13. He is writing to the Church at Corinth for the third time and he wants them to get it! He says some key things in verses 5 -8 that really spoke to me. Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?  And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.  Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth.  Did you see? He is reminding us that we have to be sure to look at ourselves and know that Christ is in us and if we get it wrong, work on it. It’s not for the benefit of others, but for us. He’s very clear in the next few verses that he is telling them that so that they are built up and not torn down. God wants us to be our very best! It’s like being a knight in shining armor and knowing how you are supposed to look but you allow your armor to get rusty and don’t acknowledge the rust or make any efforts to restore the shine.

Folks, besides God, you know yourself the best. Take a look at yourself and see what’s in need of an upgrade, and then ask God for direction. I challenge you to seek Him for clarity about who you are and your walk.  You don’t need an appointment and you don’t have to pay an hourly fee, He’s always available and He always has the answer.  We’re moving forward this year and the last thing we want to stop our momentum is ourselves.

Be blessed…AMEN

No comments: