Friday, March 8, 2019

You sure?


Hello friends! As you can obviously tell, it is not Thursday!  I have had a long week of traveling, unexpected delays, and awkward security experiences. (Don’t ask!)  So yesterday was not working with me. However, as I lay on my bed last night, listening for God, I expected something deeply spiritual to revive me from the pit of “do nothing”. Instead, I heard “make your election sure.” Now, I’m a preacher so I have heard that phrase on countless occasions but I wasn’t quite sure what God was trying to tell me in that moment.  I know what I thought it meant but again my mind was not together. So I went to the scriptures, looking for clarity and found myself in the Amplified Version of 2 Peter 1:10 and it says,

“Therefore, believers, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you [be sure that your behavior reflects and confirms your relationship with God]; for by doing these things [actively developing these virtues], you will never stumble [in your spiritual growth and will live a life that leads others away from sin];”

 
It is tempting to make this scripture about your decision to accept the call of God on your life. I mean that is the churchiest way. However, today, I realized that it is more about representing the call well. You see, your flesh would say that God called you and you answered and that is enough. When in reality, your response is the key. God is not only looking for your yes but authenticity along with it.  Your decisions, behavior, and maturity should reflect who God is and what kind of relationship you have with Him. It is not enough to say, “I am chosen” without living a holy life that is pleasing to God. It is not enough to say “I am a minister” without studying to show yourself approved. It is definitely not enough to say “God called me” but you are unteachable and unreachable.

 
Listen! In these last and evil days, you have to make your election sure! You have to be willing to go the extra mile for God in your public AND private life. It is time out for a “church folk” mentality when God needs Christians. People are dying without salvation every day and it is not acceptable. It is time to live the life of love, grace and holiness that Christ exemplified so that the world can be won for the Kingdom. So…are you sure? If not, let’s go ahead and get to work!

Amen

No comments: