Thursday, April 20, 2017

He's got just what you need!


One of my favorite hymns growing up was Leaning on the Everlasting Arms. I can still hear the strong voice of Mr. Clyde, one of the deacons, singing “Leaning, ohhhhh, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms. Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.”  I loved to watch the old saints as they sang because you could tell it meant something to them. You may not have understood why they got so into it but you knew the words were doing something. Then one day, you wake up and realize that the only way you are going to make it through that particular day is if you lean on the arms of Jesus. You realize why the saints were shouting and waving their hands. You see, that song was written almost 130 years ago but it can still minister to you. It can still remind you that as long as you stay wrapped up in the arms of Jesus, you are safe and secure from all alarms. Do you know why that is? It’s because God has not changed. He is everlasting and eternal. Today, I just simply want to remind you that God is still just what you need.


One of my favorite scripture passages is 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10. It literally blesses me every time I read it! I think it’s because it reminds me that I cannot do this journey in my own strength. This passage comes right after Paul’s account of his own out of body experience in heaven. He received so much revelation that he was given a thorn in his side to keep him humble. Paul begged God 3 times to remove the thorn and God finally responds with “My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.” Sometimes, you can get so caught up in the problems, the weights, the burdens, that you forget the solution is already present. God’s grace and strength are always at work and you really don’t have to do anything except receive it. God is still just what you need.


I remember doing a bible study lesson once that focused on the armor of God. There was a lively discussion about being prepared daily for battle. The question was raised as to why folks think it’s a good idea to put the armor on in the middle of the battle instead of at the beginning. Ephesians 6 has been available for centuries, yet people still find themselves losing the same battles due to lack of preparation. Why is that? God has not changed! He has given you everything that you need to resist the enemy and win! I love what Paul says in Ephesians 6:10 – 11, “God is strong, and He wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the devil throws your way.” (MSG) God is still just what you need.


I just want to encourage you today to stay rooted and grounded in the God who does not change. He is faithful and He is working things for your good. It’s hard sometimes, because it feels like the hits keep coming, the challenges keep popping up, and the struggles keep growing but tell yourself like David that “The Lord will perfect that which concerns me.” (Ps. 138:8a NKJV) He won’t abandon, forsake, or fail you. He still has just what you need to make it through whatever you are facing! Come on, family, sing with me! “What have I to dread, what have I to fear, leaning on the everlasting arms? I have blessed peace with my Lord so near, leaning on the everlasting arms.”


Amen

No comments: