Thursday, May 1, 2014

He's still there...


This morning I had a block. I prayed and meditated. Sat and waited. And waited. And nothing. It was a struggle to hear anything. People were talking to me and I just couldn’t hear anything from God. So, I went outside and walked around until I found a quiet spot and I sat down. As I sat with my eyes closed, I started to hear the birds sing and felt the wind blow across my face. In that moment, I heard the Lord say in a quiet voice, “I’m still here.” I almost wanted to cry at the sweetness of those words. Sometimes, the distractions of life, of ministry, of family can get you to a very dry place. It can be very lonely and frustrating because you know who God is and what He can do but you can’t feel Him. It’s not about a lack of love or even relationship with God, it’s about your joy and your zeal. Today, God is speaking to those of you that are struggling to find your “get up & go”, your motivation. He is saying very simply to you, “I am still here.”

I thought of Elijah and his cave experience when I heard God say that. He was at a point of giving up and wanted to die. You’ve probably read this story many times but there was one part that spoke to me. In 1 King 19 verses 10 and 14, Elijah repeats something I think tells of his frustration more than anything else. He says, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with You, torn down Your altars, and killed every one of Your prophets. I am the only one left and now they are trying to kill me too.” Sure, he was scared of Jezebel coming for his life but it seems that he was more upset because he had done all that he was supposed to do and still he had to face a terrible consequence. Have you ever felt like that? Frustrated because you have done your very best and given your all but it just doesn’t seem good enough. It happens often to mothers and leaders but God gave Elijah a word that I believe will help you find your strength again. He says in verse 15, “Go back the same way you came…”  God tells Elijah exactly what to do from that point but that phrase stood out to me. “Go back the same way you came.” Sometimes you have to go back and remember who God really is in your life in order to get going again. You have to remember why you fell in love with Him in the first place. You have to remember where He brought you from. You have to remember what this journey is really about. You have to remember how real He was to you when you first met God in your cave. He’s still here!

When I asked God how to drive the point home, He immediately sent me to Ezekiel 37. There’s no story in the Bible that so beautifully illustrates restoration like Ezekiel’s experience in the valley of dry bones. I mean, it doesn’t get any drier than bones scattered across a valley. The Lord explains in verse 11 that the bones represented the people of Israel. They were in exile and hopeless. Do you know how that is? To feel out of place but know God has a purpose for you. To know you need to press on but your desire is low? These bones were DRY! God told Ezekiel to speak the Word to the bones.  “Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again! I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.” (Eze. 37:5&6 NLT) Suddenly the bones came together but had no life. Then God told Ezekiel to speak to the winds. “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, O breath, from the four winds! Breathe into these dead bodies so they may live again.’ So I spoke the message as he commanded me, and breath came into their bodies. They all came to life and stood up on their feet—a great army. (Eze. 37: 9&10 NLT)  Here’s my point. God showed Ezekiel in the spirit the spiritual state of Israel and He gave Him the Word that would bring them back to life. God has a Word that will bring you back to life too. He has the Word that will call you out of your dry place, out of your grief, out of your frustration. He told Ezekiel to tell His people, “I will put my Spirit in you and you will live again and return home to your own land. Then you will know that I, the Lord have spoken and I have done what I said. Yes, the Lord has spoken.” He will bring you back to yourself and when you have come out you will know that He has done it. He’s still here!

I know what it is to struggle with a lack of motivation and joy. I know what it is to be disappointed in people and have to fight to get back to yourself. But more so, I know that God is the God of a comeback. He is one that can restore the joy of your salvation. He is one that can breathe life back into your very soul. You just need to trust that He is still in the midst. That even if you can’t trace Him as the old saints used to say, He is right there watching over you and waiting to give you a fresh wind. Sometimes you just have to take a quiet moment and listen so you can hear that still small voice. May the joy of the Lord be your strength today! May you be encouraged to take back your joy and your fight! He’s still here…AMEN 

No comments: