Saturday, September 8, 2012

Trust and Obey

I am the mother of two wonderful little girls, Sanai (3) and Kennedi (almost 2). I may be a bit biased but they are funny, smart, and unbelievably cute. However, they share one very frustrating trait that surely they MUST have gotten from their father – stubbornness! When I tell them to do something, sometimes it seems like a battle to the death. And if they have really decided they are doing something they want to do, I might have to tell them no or to stop 2 or 3 times. Now…I don’t know about you but I HATE to repeat myself. When I say it the first time, I mean it. Somehow at times, I’m guessing that doesn’t translate to them.

Needless to say, probably the most frustrating thing that parents deal with is not listening or disobedience. You don’t even have to be a parent to say AMEN! Just think back to your own childhood. Do you remember how many times your parents said, “don’t ask me why, just do it” or something to that affect? Or they gave you the death stare when you got bold and kept doing something they said not to do? The death stare usually took place right before the switch or belt! (Cover your eyes if you don’t believe in corporal punishment) Especially, as teenagers we thought we knew it all and acted accordingly. I bet my mama could write a book of all the “I told you sos” that she didn’t say. In the end, it all comes down to obedience.

As adults, we often find ourselves struggling with doing what God has said. We try and go our own way and end up asking for His forgiveness and saying “If only I would have listened…” Today, I found myself in 1 Samuel 15 reading about King Saul.  He had been anointed and appointed to be king and God had some instructions for him. He told him to kill all of the Amalekites and everything that came with them. Well…Saul was like many of us. He listened to the instructions and picked out what he thought was right and assumed that God would be alright with it. Isn’t that just like us? God tells us something to do and lays it out step by step but we decide that we know best and go our own way? Then Saul slaughtered the Amalekites from Havilah all the way to Shur, east of Egypt. He captured Agag, the Amalekite king, but completely destroyed everyone else. Saul and his men spared Agag’s life and kept the best of the sheep and goats, the cattle, the fat calves, and the lambs—everything, in fact, that appealed to them. They destroyed only what was worthless or of poor quality.(1 Sam. 15: 7-9 NLT)

Some of us are at a crossroads in life right now. God has given you instructions but for whatever reason, you have not put them into action and you are struggling. It’s time to listen. Just like any parent, God has been frustrated by having to repeat himself over and over again. Think back to the tone of some of the scriptures after the Israelites go astray again and God reminds them that He told them to do something different. We can avoid so many pitfalls in life, if we just obey. Read further in chapter 15. Saul was super proud of himself. He told Samuel that he had done what God had instructed and he was good to go. But he was wrong. God was so angry that he told Samuel that He wished he had never made Samuel. Samuel then told Saul something so crucial that we often forget. “What is more pleasing to the Lord:  your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.”(1 Sam. 15: 22 NLT)

All God wants is our obedience. Jesus said in John 14:15 that if we love him, keep His commandments. We make the journey harder on ourselves when we attempt to fix things on our own. All we need to do is listen and obey. I know, I know…it’s not comfortable or easy but God never promised us easy. However, He did promise to never leave us or forsake us. He also said “blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it.” I challenge you to trust God at His word and believe that He would not lead you astray. I’m a witness. When God told me to start doing this blog, I had every excuse in the book. My main issue was that I didn’t want to expose my writing to criticism. (Hmmmmm…who is this about?!)But after listening a little further, I quickly shut my mouth and God has truly blessed. Everything is not that easy but the outcome is always a blessing. Sometimes all God is waiting on is a yes from you, a simple willingness to obey and He moves.  Saul lost everything at that minute and Samuel had to clean up his mess. Don't let disobedience be the thing that seperates you from what God has for you.

I will close with the first verse of a beloved old hymn that I can hear Big Mama singing to this day and pray that you walk in peace and obedience!

When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.
Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey. (Trust & Obey by Sammis & Towner)
AMEN

No comments: