Thursday, September 27, 2012

God's got you!


What was the first thing you thought about when you woke up this morning? What to eat? What to put on? Who was going to take which child? Or maybe the questions were more pressing…How will I pay the bill due today? Why don’t I feel well? Why don’t I have a job to go to? As you thought through these questions, did you come up with comforting or at least suitable answers? I’m sure your answers will vary. Life is full of these question and answer sessions that we have with spouses, children or just ourselves. This morning I was reminded of a sermon that my mother preached back when I was in my early teen years called Consider the Lilies. It was a memorable sermon that highlighted a faith survey that is key to maintaining our peace and remembering just who God is.

In Luke 12, Jesus is teaching His disciples about money and possessions but He is also showing them just how valuable they are to Him. Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.  For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?  Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?(Luke 12:22 – 27 NIV) As you battle through rough times in your life, it’s time to focus on what God has promised rather than what your circumstances look like. When things are hard, it’s often hard to think or speak positive. Our flesh wants to worry but God is saying I’ve got you! What will the worrying change in your situation other than making things more stressful? Philippians 4:6 says “Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your requests be made known to God.”

Jesus goes on to say in verses 27 - 31, “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.God has made it clear in so many ways that He has a purpose for your life. Though life gets hard and the enemy has you in his sights, God’s plan will prevail. Remember what He said, “For I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jer. 29:11 NIV)

 Where is your faith?!  Just like those wildflowers, God knows just what you need. Don’t get caught up in the daily stresses of life when there is an expected end. I hear what you’re saying! Ebony, I don’t have a job. I’ve been waiting for years for my finances to get straight. I’m 10 years passed the age I had planned to be married.  I’m tired of seeing my family live the same cycles over and over again. My emotions are all over the place. But guess what? God’s timing is perfect. He doesn’t throw words like “But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you” and not mean them. He says it Himself! So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void,But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”(Is. 55:11 NKJV) Have faith in His promises. Stand on His Word. Speak those things back to yourself.  Remember who you are to God. Like Job, you are being considered and your latter shall be greater!

So here’s a little exercise to drive this home. Tonight, go in a quiet place. Close your eyes and imagine yourself in a field of beautiful flowers. As you look at them in your mind’s eye, ask God to minister to you like He does them. Like the winds blow over the flowers in the field, let a fresh wind from the Holy Spirit engulf and refresh you. Stay in that spot until you feel a shift. You see, often times we don’t get what we need because we rush God to do stuff quickly. God wants you to see and know what you mean to Him. He wants to fellowship with you and talk to you. But you need to listen and receive. Take the time to consider the lilies and you won’t have time to think about what isn’t right in your life.

As I close, I thought it was important to use more traditional versions of the Word today but I’m being led to end with The Message Bible’s translation of Luke 12: 29 – 32. My prayer is that you will be encouraged to take the love that God has for you. He truly has you and your situations under control. You are a beautiful flower in His garden! Be blessed!

“What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

Thank you, Jesus! AMEN…

No comments: