Thursday, August 30, 2012

Never without a story


This morning my routine was all thrown off. I usually am able to focus in on doing my entry but there was an unusual amount of action in my morning, nothing terrible, just had a lot going on. I had to take some time to settle back down so that I could hear clearly. When I finally sat down to write, I immediately got a word that I thought was going to be one thing but turned into something completely different. Sounds like I have a theme going with my day, huh? But I think that was the point. Our goals and dreams never come without a story.

Think about what you are going through right now in your life. And we are ALL going through something! It doesn’t have to be bad or traumatic but we all go through cycles and experiences in life that are designed to teach us something. When you come to the end of this thing you are going through now, won’t you have a story to tell? I know I will! I have experienced highs and lows, revelations and setbacks, joy and turmoil and it has all added to my testimony. Today is about encouraging us to live out the story because there is victory at the end of it.

Jesus spoke in parables (stories) throughout His ministry. In Mark 4, he tells 3 or 4 of them about seed. I encourage you to read them because they will bless you tremendously but I want to draw your attention to verses 33 & 34.  With many stories like these, he presented his message to them, fitting the stories to their experience and maturity. He was never without a story when he spoke. When he was alone with his disciples, he went over everything, sorting out the tangles, untying the knots.” (MSG) Isn’t that a pretty good explanation of our lives? Often the experiences that we have are ways to better understand who God is. The key is that as we grow and mature in the faith, we can recognize the lessons that are being taught. And as we strive to be true disciples of Christ, he will keep working with us and breaking things down so we understand.

Life is not easy. Every day we have to face giants and challenges that we don’t necessarily expect but there is an expected end. Jesus died on the cross so that we could be whole, healed and at peace. So, when it gets hard in your life and the process seems never ending, change your focus to the victory at the end.  Paul says being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” (Phil 1:6, NKJV) This chapter of your story has an end. It will not go on forever because God will never leave an unfinished work.

You remember the song from back in the day, “As I look back over my life and I think things over, I can truly say that I’ve been blessed! I have a testimony!” Joys and triumphs often come with some struggle and losses but oh what a story! Jesus is using your story to bless someone else in their life. Don’t let where you are right now keep you from moving on to the next chapter. Your healing is waiting on the next page! Your breakthrough is in the next sentence! Your peace has already been written! All you have to do is live it out and trust God! He’s still telling your story! I leave you with these words from Paul as your story continues to be written…

“I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return.  May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.(Phil. 1: 9-11 NLT)
AMEN...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen!! That message was right on time! Keep doing what you're doing because I'm faithfully reading every week and I am already looking forward to next week!