Thursday, August 9, 2012

Soul Awakening


Over the last month or so, God has been giving me entries about freedom, both in the natural and in the spiritual realm. Even in talking about taking God at His word, He wants us to be free from the bondage that the world has put us in. Today, I woke up with the words of Free by Kierra Sheard playing in my head. The lyrics say “My redeemer has saved me from sin. My soul is awakened, I live free from what held me, free from what fought me mentally. You’ve captured me in my mind I am free, in my heart, if I am Yours, I am free.” The key phrase that caught my attention during the concert in my mind was “My soul is awakened”. How many of us are walking around with an awakened soul? A soul that is joyful and free? It occurred to me that once we really get free, it should be recognizable. Sure you may have a rough day here and there but if you are walking in liberty, your soul should be awake and bursting with joy. So I ask again, is your soul awakened?

One of the first scriptures that comes to mind when I think about having an awakened soul may not be immediately obvious but is so key to our journeys as Christians. 1 John 4: 12-19 talks about the love of God that lives inside of us. The question then becomes can we possibly live in true freedom if we don’t recognize the power of God’s love for us. This is a lot of verses but I think they are key to living our best life. We have to truly understand what it means to have God’s love. It’s an amazing gift.

No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.  And God has given us his Spirit as proof that we live in him and he in us. Furthermore, we have seen with our own eyes and now testify that the Father sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.  All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God.  We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world.  Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.  We love each other because he loved us first.”(1John 4:12-19, NLT)

Think about that! If we take a minute to realize who we are in Christ, and I mean really think about it, your soul has to start stretching and waking up. We are not bound by fear because God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind! (2 Tim 1:7) That’s freedom! We have this love inside of us that grows more perfect and prepares us for every battle. This love even causes us to want to live and walk like Jesus and gives us confidence to even face the ultimate judgment.

Do you feel an awakening yet? No? Here’s an exercise. Close your eyes for a minute, even at your desk and just think about how much God loves you. Hard to do? Take a breath, speak a word, listen to the sounds around you. He gave that to you. They are things that we take for granted but they are evidence of God’s love. Grab hold to that feeling and allow the freedom to overtake you. There is no reason to be bound anymore. In the spirit, I see your soul awakening. I see the chains of old hurt falling off. I see the ropes of disappointment and frustration loosening and falling away. I see the light getting brighter. Even if you are facing sickness, God’s love has healing. If you are broke, God’s love has provision. If you are lonely, God’s love has comfort. It’s all around and it’s perfect!

May your soul awaken with the love of Christ and the joy of knowing He did it all for you!

No comments: