Thursday, December 24, 2015

On the Eve of Purpose

I've done a Rhema every Thursday for 4.5 years. It's been both challenging and life changing at the same time. I have been discouraged and encouraged, strengthened and broken down all for the sake of fulfilling the assignment that God gave me. I've wondered at times whether it was time to give it up and find something else to do but every time, God reminds me that this is part of my current assignment and has purpose. As I have been sitting here this Christmas Eve morning, I've thought a lot about Mary. She took on a major assignment from God without warning or preparation and she did it with grace. I never expected to be writing a blog or have books but I've known for a long time that writing was one of my gifts. I wrote little things for my church newsletter, I was an English major, my mama was a writer so Rhema was shocking to me; but it wasn't out of nowhere. Such was not the case with Mary. She was minding her own business, preparing for marriage when she got a surprise visitor.

“In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to the Galilean village of Nazareth to a virgin engaged to be married to a man descended from David. His name was Joseph, and the virgin’s name, Mary. Upon entering, Gabriel greeted her: Good morning! You’re beautiful with God’s beauty, Beautiful inside and out! God be with you.” She was thoroughly shaken, wondering what was behind a greeting like that. But the angel assured her, “Mary, you have nothing to fear. God has a surprise for you: You will become pregnant and give birth to a son and call his name Jesus. He will be great, be called ‘Son of the Highest.’ The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David; He will rule Jacob’s house forever— no end, ever, to his kingdom.””‭‭(Luke‬ ‭1:26-33‬ ‭MSG‬‬)

Okay, folks! Do you see what I mean? There is nothing said about Mary being out working in ministry or being of a royal or wealthy family. There is no hint in the background information that she would be chosen for the huge assignment of bringing the Messiah into the world. She was not looking for this to happen! So why her? What could have been so special about Mary? Gabriel gave the answer with one phrase, “God be with you.” God had been with Mary. He knew that He would be received. He knew that she could be trusted with the assignment that He had for her. Could it be that God is watching and waiting on you to be ready to receive what He has for you? Is it possible that you are putting too much pressure on yourself to be “ready or worthy” when He really just wants to make sure that you will receive Him? Woooooo, Mary!! You are showing me something this morning!

Look at her response! “Mary said to the angel, “But how? I’ve never slept with a man.” The angel answered, The Holy Spirit will come upon you, the power of the Highest hover over you; Therefore, the child you bring to birth will be called Holy, Son of God. “And did you know that your cousin Elizabeth conceived a son, old as she is? Everyone called her barren, and here she is six months pregnant! Nothing, you see, is impossible with God.” And Mary said, “Yes, I see it all now: I’m the Lord’s maid, ready to serve. Let it be with me just as you say.” Then the angel left her.” (Luke‬ ‭1:34-38‬ ‭MSG‬‬)

What would happen if you responded to God’s instruction like Mary? What would change in your life if you didn't look at the impossibility of the request but just said yes? I dare say that you would see miracles birthed through you, your purpose come forth and the blessing of God overtake you. Mary said yes when everything in her life would tell her to say no. She got in agreement with God and saw power, authority and victory grow in her. Do you see what I am saying? God has placed a seed of purpose in your belly and all you need to do is say yes. It is up to you to look past the adversity and the challenge and carry your gift to delivery. You have a purpose to bring forth! You have a gift to give the world that you have been specifically chosen to carry! You have a major assignment to complete! Like Mary, it's the eve of your delivery! It's time to stop preparing for labor and start pushing. The world is waiting to announce the arrival of your purpose! Let it be with you just as the Lord has said…amen!

No comments: