Thursday, November 26, 2015

Be Grateful...

I kind of thought I would have something deep and profound to say to you on this beautiful Thanksgiving Day. But I don't. As a matter of fact, I really only have 2 words and it seems almost cliché to write them but it's what I'm hearing, so I will. Be grateful! Yep, that's what I have. Sounds easy, right? I can hear the chorus of “I am!” echoing all around. So much so that I hate to go further with my question. But it's what I'm hearing, so I will. Are you really? God is calling for His people to put action behind words. It's not a new sentiment but it bears repeating. Today, on this Thanksgiving, God is using  a highlighter on the word “be” and calling on you to not just say you are grateful or text it but really BE grateful.

God sent me to Ephesians 1 in the Message translation to show a great example of how to be grateful. Paul was writing to the Church at Ephesus and doing what He did best – proclaiming the name of Jesus. He is reminding them of who God is and the wonderful gift of Jesus that He gave to the world. As Paul comes to the end of his opening, he tells them how excited he is about their relationship with Christ. It is here that you find this great 4 verse explanation of how Paul shows his gratefulness. It blessed me!

“That's why, when I heard of the solid trust you have  in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the followers of Jesus, I couldn't stop thanking God for you-every time I prayed, I'd think of you and give thanks. But I do more than thank. I ask-ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory-to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life He has for His followers, oh the utter extravagance of His work in us who trust Him-endless energy, boundless strength!” (Eph. 1:15-19 MSG)

You see, gratefulness is not just an internal, quiet place, though it certainly can be. But Paul showed us that it is wanting more for someone else. It's praying that they be all that Christ as called them to be. It's celebrating the work that God is doing in them and in doing so, God gets the glory. Today, as you spend time with your friends and family, pray for them to prosper and be in good health! Pray that they walk in their purpose and calling! Pray that their relationship with God grows stronger and they experience wisdom and discernment like never before. Show your gratefulness  to God by representing Him well! I am grateful for each one of you. I thank God that He led you to Rhema today and I pray that He increases you in every area of your life. I pray that the last few weeks of 2015 are filled with favor and blessings for you. May gratefulness live in your heart daily, your energy for God be endless and your strength boundless!

Amen…

No comments: