Thursday, January 22, 2015

Are you different?

So...it's a new year! New you, right? You've written down your goals for 2015 and a made a list about what you will change. It's week 4 and you are progressing nicely. Sometimes it's a bit of challenge though and you pray to stay the course and not get distracted. You are trying your best to not let people or things cause you to fall back into old things. But it can be difficult and test the strength and peace that you have built up.

This morning the Lord asked a question that really caused me to think. What's  different about you? I must admit to be a little indignant. What do you mean, Lord? I am saved and set apart. I do what you tell me to do. I pray for others, encourage people, work hard in ministry. I was ready to go on when He asked the question again. But this time, He heard my not so silent plea to rephrase the question. What's so different about you this year from last year that you feel ready to change, to move forward, go higher. I realized then what He was saying. Every year or season in life, you start out with gusto and then fade out a few weeks or months in. It could be that you haven't truly made the commitment in your heart to carry the plan to completion or perhaps something major happens that throws you off course. Whatever it is, today God wants to see you come into your own. He wants to see you change into your new role, your new position in life. You see, He wants you to be different and not just temporarily but in a lasting and powerful way. He doesn't want you to be swayed so easily to go back to the way you used to do things but rather able to stand steadfast in who He has made you to be. It's time to be different.

You know, it's funny because God doesn't change but He does switch up how He will use you. Every time I get comfortable with how Rhema "should" go, He changes it up on me. Whether it's how He gives me the word or the format in which to share it, He keeps me on my toes. He doesn't allow me to stay in my comfort zone just because that's how I always do things. I think that's one of the reasons that He is giving this word today. He wants you to take the limits off of Him and off of your thinking. He wants the changes He is making in you to last. So as I was writing, God gave me a couple of scriptures to share with you. The first of which is very familiar. "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (‭Romans‬ ‭12‬:‭2‬ NLT) In order to be different, your thinking has got to be changed. If God is shifting you this year, are you prepared for the transformation? Have you taken your eyes off of the world's expectations and asked God what His will is for you in this season? It's time to be different.

The other scripture that He gave me was more practical. I love the NKJV version to share but have been blessed by multiple translations so I encourage you to study the one that speaks to you.  "He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her. She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you.” Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, And the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in right paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hindered, And when you run, you will not stumble. Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; Keep her, for she is your life. Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on." (‭Proverbs‬ ‭4‬:‭4-15‬ NKJV) This is one of my most favorite passages in the entire Bible. It tells you how to live and it speaks so profoundly as you are starting this year or season in your life. God doesn't give instruction and leave you hanging. No, He will tell you how to carry it out, though it may not be on your timing. Trust me, I know! But your job is to be listening for when He gives you each part. Your job is to use wisdom and heed His word. It's time to be different.

I encourage you today to be steadfast in what God is speaking to your spirit. It may mean that you have to make different choices and be in different surroundings and around different people. But you can trust that if God has brought you to it, He will carry, shift, lift and grow you through it. So I ask you...what's really different about you?

God bless...Amen

No comments: