Thursday, November 27, 2014

That good thing

This morning I sat in my closet waiting for God to give me a word about Thanksgiving. I looked forward to encouraging you to give thanks for where you are and what He has brought you through. But God had other plans! I kept seeing visions of people preparing for their Thanksgiving dinner.  He told me to take note of what the people were doing. And it was serious, y'all! I could see the focus, the planning, the preparation, and the execution. It was all there. Then God said, "If they can do that today, why can't they do it with Me every day?" I knew it was a rhetorical question but before I could answer, I heard...distractions. I meditated on that for a minute and then He took me to a familiar scripture.

"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42 NLT)

Have you been missing it because of distractions? Has God been sending you messages but fear, frustration, busy work has gotten in the way? Have you wondered why you haven't gotten the answer that you were waiting for? Well, today, God simply wanted me to remind you that He is always there if you will simply stop and hear Him. Martha was working and serving but by the time she took time to seek Jesus out, she had already missed the message. God is constantly speaking to you but so many other things get in your way. 

Distractions have a way of disguising themselves and taking over. Sometimes it's family, sometimes work, and sometimes even church. You run around doing this and that, and all the while you are getting farther away from the Lord as your first priority. Notice, that's when the devil can throw all of these attacks and issues in your way. God wants all of you. Sound difficult? It's really not because when you give Him your all, He will make everything else work. The same way that you got your plans together for Thanksgiving, put that same effort into getting to Christ. I promise that the result will be a fulfillment that lasts much longer than that turkey! 

May your day be filled with love and family and the sweet reminder that Christ is that one thing worth being concerned about and He won't be taken away from you! 


Amen...

No comments: