Thursday, August 29, 2013

Peace like a River


Have you ever felt God’s peace rest on you? Think about it. Have you ever been stressed or anxious and cried out to God, even silently, and all of a sudden you felt the load lift? It’s almost tangible, like a cloak resting on your shoulders, warming and calming you. There’s nothing the world can manufacture or create that can come close to that feeling. As Philippians 4:7 says, it “surpasses all understanding.”  It’s powerful and real. Have you felt it?

The world often assumes that if you are a Christian, your life is perfect. Anyone that has lived long enough can testify how untrue that assumption is. I mean, John 16:33 even straight out says, “…In the world, you will have tribulation…” Unfortunately, that means that you will face stress, loss, pain, perhaps even sickness. But there is a response from God that gives you the strength to withstand whatever the world throws at you and that is His peace. As a matter of fact, the full verse of John 16:33 says, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (NLT) That was Christ speaking! He was sending a clear message that you can walk through this world with peace because He already claimed the victory. Today, I want to speak peace to your spirit man. I want you to know that there is no attack, no circumstance, and no battle that God’s peace cannot sustain you.

I am often amazed at how easy it is to let things go on for so long in your life that you don’t even realize that you’ve been overwhelmed. Perhaps just the simple thought of missing your child when he or she goes off to school turns into worry and then into anxiety and then high blood pressure. Maybe a minor car accident turns into discomfort riding in cars to a deep fear of driving on the highway. It could be something serious like a betrayal from a friend or spouse and that evolves into a severe distrust of people. All of a sudden what was once a simple issue has affected your life and how you conduct yourself. When stress and anxiety come over you, often some physical manifestation will follow. Think about it… ulcers, headaches, shortness of breath, and other symptoms are all things that can be brought on by stress. This is when you must actively ask God to give you His peace.  You cannot find that peace by looking at your circumstance. “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” (Rom. 8:6 ESV) Essentially, set your mind on God and find peace. As a matter of fact, Isaiah 26:3 says that God will keep those in PERFECT peace whose minds are stayed on Him because they trust in Him.

I don’t want anyone to be in a place where you are tormented in your mind or body. You were not put on this earth to suffer like that. God wants you to be at peace because He is a God of peace. Last night in bible study, I was reminded that Christ took specific wounds for specific things. Remember in Isaiah 53:5 when it says “the chastisement of our peace was upon Him.” Chastisement means discipline, correction, and rebuke. Imagine that! An innocent man took rebuke and discipline so that you could have peace. That’s how important your peace of mind is. That’s how important God believes it is that you be whole and well. I say that so that you will “seek peace and pursue it” as Psalm 34:14 says. I say that so you will ask God to take away those memories that are holding you in the past. I say that so that you will ask God to renew your belief in the good in people. I say that so that you will believe that you are worthy of His peace.

 If you are in a place where you are struggling to find peace in your life, I want to leave you with a word of peace from the Lord found in Isaiah 41:9 &10. He says, “I have called you back from the ends of the earth, saying, You are my servant. For I have chosen you and will not throw you away. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with My victorious right hand.” (NLT)

May the peace of God sustain and maintain you…AMEN

 

No comments: