Thursday, October 18, 2012

Livin' on a Prayer


My husband was an MTV sponge growing up. Strangely enough, he probably knows every 80s rock song every released or parts of it. That was not quite my flow so imagine my surprise when I woke up to the chorus of Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer playing over and over in my head. I tried to get away from it for over an hour and even told a friend. Finally, I said 'maybe this is my Rhema.' So I looked up the lyrics and I said "Okay! I get it" The end of the song says "We've got to hold on ready or not. You live for the fight when it's all you've got. We're halfway there - livin' on a prayer"

The last few weeks, God has had me focusing on trusting Him at His Word even in the face of adversity and opposition. Sometimes it's all we can do to keep going when life keeps throwing us curve balls. But the key is to not give up. Some of you are  waiting on God to do something, anything in your life.  You've prayed, fasted,  gone to church regularly but seemingly the situations and circumstances in your life aren't changing. I believe God used the lyrics to this classic rock song to remind you that you're farther along than you think! Keep fighting and trusting that your prayers have been heard.  

Remember Hannah? If anyone had to stand on prayer and keep fighting through attacks, it was her.  "But her rival wife taunted her cruelly, rubbing it in and never letting her forget that God had not given her children. This went on year after year. Every time she went to the sanctuary of God she could expect to be taunted. Hannah was reduced to tears and had no appetite." (1 Sam. 1:7 MSG) I read this verse over and over again in different translations and the thing that kept standing out to me was the phrase "every time". Even though Peninnah tortured her year after year, she kept going. She stayed in God's face regardless of what the enemy did to try and stop her. It doesn't say that it was easy on her.  She had no appetite, she cried bitterly but she kept on going. You see, even if you get some battle wounds or have some setbacks, when the bell rings get back in there. The devil is crafty and he looks for weaknesses and plays on them BUT God has the victory all wrapped up. 

 "As she was praying to the Lord, Eli watched her. Seeing her lips moving but hearing no sound, he thought she had been drinking. “Must you come here drunk?” he demanded. “Throw away your wine!” “Oh no, sir!” she replied. “I haven’t been drinking wine or anything stronger. But I am very discouraged, and I was pouring out my heart to the Lord. Don’t think I am a wicked woman! For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow.”  “In that case,” Eli said, “go in peace! May the God of Israel grant the request you have asked of him.” (1 Sam 1: 13-17 NLT)  Imagine if Hannah had  given up. Imagine that she decided the fight was too hard and walked away from her desire to have a son. Think about this! Hannah was right at the edge of her breakthrough when that priest confronted her. She was almost there and didn't know it but she fought back and walked out with a blessing! 

So...the question is this. Are you prepared to fight for what God has promised you? Is that healed relationship, new husband, permanent peace of mind important enough to hold on to? It is! I don't care what the enemy has told you and you shouldn't either. He'll keep coming but he will not win. I encourage you to live on that prayer that you have been standing on. You're almost there! Waiting on a phone call...almost here! Knock on the door...almost here! Promotion...almost here! You are right at the edge of breakthrough...don't give up prematurely.

So, I'm calling on my inner rock star to encourage you and sing loudly : "Whooooah, We're halfway there...Livin' on a prayer! Take my hand and we'll make it I swear...Livin' on a prayer!"

God bless and AMEN!


1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog