Thursday, June 26, 2014

Stay on the Journey



I heard Pastor Smoky Norful singing in my mind this morning. “One more day, one more step. I’m preparing you for myself and when you can’t hear my voice, trust my plan. I am the Lord, I see you and yes I understand.” Sometimes God let’s a song minister to you because you can take the message easier. You know, kind of like when you give a baby medicine with their food to mask the taste. Perhaps you are like me and have had some hills to climb and struggles to overcome lately. You’ve made every attempt to be obedient to the voice and instruction of the Lord but there is still more to learn, more to survive, more to endure. Perhaps you have even gotten to the point where you want to throw in the towel. But today, the Lord is saying, 'I’m preparing you for Me. I am strengthening you for this next stage because it will require more from you than ever before. These tests are difficult but they have a purpose if you will just hold your ground and trust Me. I will be with you to the end.' Saints, today, I encourage you to stay on the journey.

You know it’s interesting because, this was the title of my initial sermon. God kept speaking to me about the journey and how I needed to stick with it but I thought I was done with it. But ever since I gave that word, I have had to remind myself several times to stay on the journey. The Bible speaks of endurance and remaining steadfast many times. One of my favorite scriptures is James 1:2-4, My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” I have always loved the scripture but would kind of shake my head at how optimistic James sounded. Where is this perfection and completion he is referring to?! But it’s true, after you have survived a test with faith, something has changed in you. If you really examine yourself pre and post test, there is a level of growth that is unmistakable. And that level of growth is complete until you are ready for the next step. Revelation! Each time you go through, you are gaining something new in your arsenal! You have a new weapon, a new level of anointing, a new strength. But if you get off the journey, if you give up, how will you get there? Stay on the journey, saints.

As I was singing along with Pastor Smoky in my mind, I kept thinking about the part about trusting God’s plan. Isn’t that what it’s all about? God has told you that He has a plan for your life. He said it was to give you a future and a hope. He doesn’t however tell you how you will get there. He doesn’t always give you a step by step guidebook that tells you what pitfalls to watch out for and which turns to take. You have to listen to His voice and make adjustments when He tells you. It’s often so easy to get caught up in what you want the end result to be that you miss all of the trust part. God has been working with me on this for a long time. Sometimes, I just have to trust His plan. I can’t always have it laid out for me like my administrative mind would like for it to be. But if I just stay with it, He will do what He promised.

The end of Hebrews 10 is always a blessing to me but I read it today in the Message translation and it really blessed me. In this chapter, Paul is reminding the people to live by faith. He starts from leading them from the law to the gospel to uplifting Christ’s death and sacrifice to remembering their own personal confession and relationship with Christ.  He ends with reminding them about how far they have come and to stick with it to the end. I pray that His reminder will also bless you to stay the course. No matter what circumstance you find yourself in right now, you will overcome, if you continue on the journey and trust His plan.

“Remember those early days after you first saw the light? Those were the hard times! Kicked around in public, targets of every kind of abuse—some days it was you, other days your friends. If some friends went to prison, you stuck by them. If some enemies broke in and seized your goods, you let them go with a smile, knowing they couldn’t touch your real treasure. Nothing they did bothered you, nothing set you back. So don’t throw it all away now. You were sure of yourselves then. It’s still a sure thing! But you need to stick it out, staying with God’s plan so you’ll be there for the promised completion.

It won’t be long now, he’s on the way;
    he’ll show up most any minute.
But anyone who is right with me thrives on loyal trust;
    if he cuts and runs, I won’t be very happy.

But we’re not quitters who lose out. Oh, no! We’ll stay with it and survive, trusting all the way.”

Stay on the journey! AMEN…

 

No comments: